UKAS Accreditation and Asbestos – Everything You Need to Know About UKAS and Asbestos
Here at Casa Environmental Services we are dedicated to helping people effectively manage asbestos within their buildings. For many years we have been providing industry leading asbestos surveying, management, identification and analytical services to properties throughout the UK offering a complete and flexible solution that enables our client to comply with their obligations under the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012
Customer satisfaction and quality of work are two of our main priorities and we are proud to have achieved numerous accreditations for our specialist services Our surveying service for example has been accredited to ISO 17020 by UKAS since 2013, demonstrating our technical competence and ability in delivering accurate asbestos surveys that comply with Health and Safety Executive Guidance HSG 264.
So, to help explain a little more about UKAS and what this accreditation means, we’ve put together this handy little guide explaining everything you need to know.
What is UKAS?
UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service) is the sole national accreditation body appointed by the government to determine the quality and integrity of organisations offering testing, inspection, calibration and certification services. They assess companies in a wide range of industries (such as the chemical, environmental and health sectors) against internationally recognised standards, awarding certification only to companies who demonstrate their competence, impartiality and performance capability.
Their purpose is to deliver confidence to businesses, the government and the public by providing a world class accreditation service that ensures customer excellence.
UKAS Asbestos Certification
ISO 17020 UKAS accreditation is the formal recognition that an organisation is competent to perform asbestos surveying to HSG 264 Standard and that they have a suitable Quality Management System. They’ll have met the criteria of a rigorous and ongoing assessment, demonstrating that they perform to the required standard. It will also ensure they have adequate resources and are suitably qualified and impartial.
All surveyors employed within an accredited company will have acquired relevant qualifications (P402 as a minimum) and must also receive regular internal training and auditing by the organisation.
Benefits of Using a UKAS Accredited Company
The Health and Safety Executive recommends that only Organisations that are UKAS Accredited to ISO 17020 are employed to undertake surveys.
Here’s some of the main benefits of using a UKAS accredited asbestos surveying organisation, all of which apply to us here at Casa Environmental Services –
- The organisation has been externally audited by experienced technical assessors.
- The organisation has consistently demonstrated technical competence to carry out the work in question.
- The organisation has all the essential resources, tools and facilities needed to deliver work to the highest standard.
- The organisation has surveyors and other experts who work to ensure tests and inspections are performed with credibility, impartiality and integrity.
- The organisation has appropriate safeguards in place (such as liability insurance) should any difficulties arise
- The organisation has implemented processes for working safely.
- The organisation has a process to manage contract review to ensure that customer requirements are fully understood.
- The organisation has a complaints procedure in place.
- There are a number of insurance brokers and underwriters that recognise accreditation as an important factor in assessing risk, and can therefore offer lower premiums.
Non accredited organisations may not undertake the survey or produce a report to the correct standard. The surveyors carrying out the work may not be suitably qualified or experienced. It is unlikely that they would have a quality management system or a robust health and safety policy that has been independently vetted.
The surveyors will probably not be audited on a regular basis to monitor performance and to ensure correct procedures are being followed.
UKAS Accredited Asbestos Surveyors
At Casa Environmental Services we take great pride in being a Type C inspection body accredited by UKAS to ISO 17020. Our management, demolition, refurbishment and re-inspection surveys are delivered to the highest standard and enable our clients to comply with their obligation under the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012.
We can help you to accurately understand the quantity and location of asbestos present in your property, as well as assist in the compilation of a management plan to ensure risks are kept to a minimum.
Please don’t hesitate to get in touch today to find out how we can help, or receive a free, no obligation quote.